Why Work For Us
About Our Community
At the City of Hopkins our mission is to Inspire, Educate, Involve, and Communicate. Our vision is to create a spirit of community where all people feel safe and respected, diversity is celebrated, business growth is supported, and a vibrant downtown is maintained.
With a population of 18,500 and an area stretching across 4 square miles, the City of Hopkins is home to 15 community parks, 7 total schools, and 8,390 total housing units. The City takes pride in businesses and unique areas such as the Hopkins Center for the Arts, Historical Society, Pavilion, Regional Trail, Nature areas and so much more.
Competitive Benefits Package
City of Hopkins employees receive a competitive benefits package. Benefits include:
- Full time health insurance for employee, spouse and dependents
- Generous vacation and holiday leave policy
- Parental leave policy
- Established relationships with financial advisors allowing employees to contribute additional funds to deferred compensation plans
- Ancillary benefits including:
- Short and long-term disability
- Life insurance
- Accident insurance, critical illness and additional hospital coverage and
- Contributions to the Minnesota State Retirement System Health Care Savings Plan and the Minnesota State Pension, PERA.
The City of Hopkins has a self-funded Employee Engagement group, allowing employees to connect through various events and programming, including:
- Employee BBQs
- Lawn bowling
- Family Beach Day at Shady Oak Beach
- Walking challenges
- And more!
Inviting Office Environment
In 2019, Hopkins City Hall underwent a much-needed renovation to reflect the changing dynamics of today's workplace. Upgrades include:
- Open floor plan
- Collaborative workspaces
- Large meeting and conference rooms with access to latest technology
- Sit/Stand Desks
- Employee Wellness Room with two treadmill desks
- Quiet Room with sink and mini fridge great for nursing mothers
- Employee breakroom
- Outdoor workspace
- Water bottle filling stations throughout the building
Here are what current employees have to say about working for the City:
- “My professional experience is respected, and I am not micro managed”
- “I feel valued in my job”
- “Nicest co-workers I’ve ever had, super team oriented environment”
- "Wonderful work environment within an equally wonderful community"