Help reduce our community's energy use and save money on your utility bills
The Home Energy Squad
Keeping your home comfortable year round can be costly if your house has insufficient insulation and weatherproofing. A comprehensive visit from the Home Energy Squad can start saving you money right away.
The City of Hopkins partners with the Home Energy Squad (a program of the MN Center for Energy and the Environment) to provide these visits at a reduced cost for Hopkins residents.
How it Works
The first step is a free virtual visit with the Home Energy Squad. During a virtual visit, an energy consultant will guide customers on a walk-through assessment of their homes via video chat. They will receive energy-saving tips to start saving energy right away and recommendations for next steps.
If the virtual visit team thinks your home could benefit from an in-home visit they can connect you to the best visit for your needs. There are two types of in-home visits:
Energy Saver Visit
Intended for newer houses built in 2000 and later, mobile homes, condos and renters.A two-person team will come to your home and:
- Install energy saving materials such as: LED lightbulbs, door and attic hatch weather stripping, programmable thermostat, and high efficient water fixtures.
- Water heater temperature assessment and adjustment
- Help with next steps
Energy Planner Visit
Recommended for homes built before 2000. A two-person team will come to your home and:
- Install energy saving materials such as LED lightbulbs, door and attic hatch weather stripping, programmable thermostat and high efficient water fixtures
- Perform a blower door test to measure your home for air leaks
- Complete an insulation inspection of your attic and walls using an infrared camera
- Perform a safety test on your home's heating system and water heater
- Help with next steps
Some clients will be connected to a team of energy advisors immediately after a virtual visit, while others will be connected to the advisors after an in-home visit.
If your home has an opportunity for significant savings through larger home improvement projects such as additional insulation, attic air sealing, or replacing old heating equipment, the energy advisors make these larger steps easy by connecting you with a vetted list of qualified contractors, specialized financing and utility rebates.
Have questions after your visit? Contact the energy advisors at 612-244-2484 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule a Visit
Schedule your visit on the Home Energy Squad Hopkins webpage or by calling 651-328-6220.
For more information, visit the Home Energy Squad website. Visits are provided by CenterPoint Energy and Xcel Energy, in partnership with the Center for Energy and Environment and the City of Hopkins.